BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 21, 2011

Not Yet.

YES! Last week I celebrated being done with a quick visit back to school!


 
It’s a dream of mine to go back to school for a degree in something…Something that will take a whole other post, but feel free to guess until then. I’ve taken classes here and there since high school but this was my first full time term ever. I thought it’d be tough taking sociology, psychology and philosophy, especially having been out of school for the last seven+ years. But it wasn’t!! I had so much fun being challenged, and the subjects I picked were so intriguing. So why not go back? Because I got B’s instead of A’s.

 
I made a deal with myself before this term started. If I went to school, no one (at home) would be able to tell. Well that meant NOT opting out of a mini-vaca during mid-terms and NOT opting out of another mini-vaca the week prior to finals. That meant not studying when necessary and not getting around to doing my best on every single assignment.

 
The commitment I made to myself also meant preventing spill over, which I didn’t do so well. After each mini-vaca I hit the books and left Adam with a pretty hefty to-do list. Being the great husband that he is he didn’t mind so much, but I did. Other than a couple “sill-overs” I was rather impressed with how well I was able to hold up the commitment I made to myself. I love impressing myself! I also managed to pull off B’s (unless the teacher’s grade on a curve in which case I may have A’s), this is great considering I thought I deserved C’s. But that was just my perspective, I knew I didn’t do what I was capable of doing in school. Doing my best to maintain that commitment I made was of utmost priority to me, and I wasn‘t going to sell out for an A.

 
Saying “so long for now” is bitter-sweet. I am so excited for school, but I want to go back when I can be great at it. On the other hand, I love having a family!! This stage in life is amazing: I can completely appreciate the ages of my children, I’ve never been in a better place in my marriage, and I finally feel like I’m finally right where I WANT to be. God is so good, and I feel so blessed. Why am I not living it up? Oh wait I’m about to!

 
Regardless of how “full” my life looks I do have extra time on my hand, not a whole lot but extra nonetheless. So here is the sweet part of the deal: extra time to just do the extra special stuff in life. Here’s my list, the list I’ll look at every time I find myself sad about not going back to school…yet.
  • Savoring bed time with my kids.
  • Hosting dinner with family friends, more often!
  • Hanging on my husbands every word.
  • Going above and beyond in home schooling my children, doing all the fun extra stuff that makes school COOL.
  • Being better prepared for my kid’s busy sports schedule. No more “hurry, we’re late”.
Yes, it’s bitter-sweet.

 

0 comments: